In this article, I am going to talk about the common errors faced during SQL Server 2016 with Sp1 installation and configuration.
Setup contains lots of components, so installation running considerable amount of time was expected. But after few minutes, it was only 30% finished and the setup was still trying to install the same package. It seemed that the installation got stuck. The error is as below,
Microsoft visual studio 2015 shell isolated SQL stuck.
- vs_shell.exe process has been locked by other other process.
- Another Installation is in progress and require System restart.
- Cancel the setup, but even that got stuck
- Go to Task Manager to end the installation by stopping the process
- Restart the computer and try again
While installtion SQL Server 2016 with SP1, the more commong error is,
Could not find the Database Engine startup handle.
- When you get to the Server Configuration page as shown below, you will notice that the SQL Server Database Engine service is using the account NT Service\MSSQLSERVER.
- Change the account from NT Service\MSSQLSERVER to NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM by clicking on the drop-down box, selecting browse and then typing SYSTEM in Select User, Computer, Service Account, or Group window in Active Directory.
- Click OK to accept the new account.
- Your screen should look similar to the screenshot below.
- Continue on with the installation as normal.
- You should no longer receive the error Could not find the Database Engine startup handle during installation.
This is related to tcp-ip and port issue.
- The TCP/IP connection to the host localhost, port 1433 has failed.
- The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption.
- Go to Start – Microsoft SQL Server – Configuration Tools – SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- Go to SQL Server Configuration Manager – SQL Server Network Configuration – Protocols for SQLExpress
- Check if Protocol TCP/IP disabled. If yes, then it Click on TCP/IP and its properties.
- Remove All the TCP Dynamic Ports and Add value of 1433 to all TCP Port as like below screenshot
- Restart your SQL Server Services – SQL Server. And It’s Done…
You should restart the Windows server after SQL Server installation is complete. Yes, even if you are not prompted by the system to restart the server you must restart the server after installation of SQL Server, SharePoint Server, etc. or else you may run into problems.